__________________________________________________________

About

Portfolio

My Home

Work With Me

Tours

Interviews

Creative Spaces

Style

Monday, June 13, 2011

Book Review: Decorate by Holly Becker


I have been meaning to write this post for weeks. Truth is I haven't been able to find the time to really devour Holly Becker's book Decorate as much as I have been aching to. Recently I was in hospital for the day. Nothing major (no, I haven't gone up a cup size!) but it did give me the opportunity to really sink my teeth into the book she co-authored with Joanna Copestick.




Holly writes in her same warm, friendly voice and there are pages after pages of tips, ideas, beautiful photographs and inspiring quotes from some of my favourite people such as Belinda of The Happy Home, Nicole of Making it Lovely, Anna of Absolutely Beautiful Things, Leslie of Creative Mint, Shannon Fricke and Victoria from sfgirlbybay to name just a few.



There is a little quote by me in there too. Thank you dearest Holly!

It was nice to see floor plans and layouts included which helped me get a feel for the photographed space. I was also inspired by a quote in the book by designer Tom Delavan - 'Make a furniture plan - this is a simple step that most people think they don't need. The pros all do it for their clients'. I'm not usually organised enough to draw up a plan and it kind of goes again my impulse-buying habits but when I moved into my house I needed to so that I can work out the best way of making all my furniture fit. There is definitely value in this exercise.

If you haven't had a chance to pick up a copy yet it is available in Australia and retails for $59.99. If you already have a copy, what do you like most about it?

(Images by me of some of my favourite pages from Decorate)


CREATIVE SPACES

DECORATING

DESIGN

INTERVIEWS

STYLE

TOURS

WRITE TO
PO BOX 42220
LUGARNO NSW
AUSTRALIA 2210

viv@ishandchi.com


VIA EMAIL