__________________________________________________________

About

Portfolio

My Home

Work With Me

Tours

Interviews

Creative Spaces

Style

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Milk paint

Where have I been? Oh, around the place but mainly I have been working on both home and college projects. The last couple of days have been spent exploring various types of interior paints - chalkboard paints, french wash paints, satin finish paints, acrylic, paints made with all natural ingredients and milk paint.


I really wanted to try the milk paint from Porter's Paints. It comes in powder form and there is a process to preparing it:

1. Mix powder with cold water until it is of 'pancake batter' consistency
2. Stir by hand for 3-4 minutes
3. Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes until it thickens
4. Strain through muslin to remove lumps and bubbles and then you are ready to paint


If you haven't used milk paint before, it creates a chalky finish which gives furniture a rustic appearance. It is made of milk by-products and mixed with various oxides to give it colour. I chose the 'Oyster White' colour which is not a bright white but has more of a greyish antique white colour.



I hadn't planned on painting the bentwood chairs but I thought they might look nice painted in this paint. Although it would be easier to pop open a tin of acrylic white paint, there is something so satisfying about mixing up your own paint by hand. I have only painted one chair and one coat but I'm happy with the results so far.


CREATIVE SPACES

DECORATING

DESIGN

INTERVIEWS

STYLE

TOURS

WRITE TO
PO BOX 42220
LUGARNO NSW
AUSTRALIA 2210

viv@ishandchi.com


VIA EMAIL