__________________________________________________________

About

Portfolio

My Home

Work With Me

Tours

Interviews

Creative Spaces

Style

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The studio

I am finally done playing around with the studio. Before I show you the final photos here is a before shot to compare to:

Mmmm, pretty...

The aim was to create a playful, colourful space I can call my own and one that will inspire me to design. The budget was to spend no more than $900.

Here's how it looks now:

Walls painted, dryer moved, shelves installed and furniture moved in. When I removed the nails in the far wall the concrete crumbled away and left behind huge holes. To hide the mess, my husband and I pasted wallpaper onto a large piece of plywood and mounted it.

The white trestle tables are cheap and functional. I've dressed up the sideboard with a few of my favourite things.

This is where I store everything I need to package and wrap orders. I've lined the drawers with pretty wrapping paper picked up from IKEA for $2.95 a roll.

The start of my kimmidoll and kokeshi doll collection.

I painted an old pine cupboard we owned white and blue and kept the old handles.

The inside of the cupboard has been painted blue too.

Some of the fabrics I use for the designs in my store.

The Alice in Wonderland print set from The Black Apple arrived and I have hung them up along with some of my own work.

So that's it! I love pottering around in here while my son sleeps. What I'm most excited about though is that we've created a space out of a previously unused section of our home.

I already owned most of the items in the studio however I have put together a cost breakdown of the things I did buy (and some that I splurged on):

Paint for cupboard (Dulux Whisper White, Dulux Tapioca 1/2 strength and undercoat) - $80
Graham & Brown wallpaper - $50 delivered
Plywood and moulding for wallpaper frame - $50
IKEA Egeby rug - $149
Clipboards (which I then covered with fabric) - $12
Matt Blatt Eames style chair - $99
Antique sideboard from Ebay (my big splurge) - $405
Adairs paper butterfly mobile - $50
IKEA wrapping paper - $2.95

TOTAL: $897.95 (
just made it in under budget)

I have also listed the price of some of the other items I already owned for reference:

Paint for walls (Dulux Self Destruct) - $80
Paint for floor (White Knight Grey) - $70
Bunnings trestle tables - $59 each
IKEA Lack floating shelves - $49 each
Kikki-k step file and folders - approx. $30 (I can't remember exact original price)
Kikki-k pink cloth boxes - $34.95 each
Herd cushion cover by Skinny laMinx - $25 (USD)


(Click photos above for more information about the room)


CREATIVE SPACES

DECORATING

DESIGN

INTERVIEWS

STYLE

TOURS

WRITE TO
PO BOX 42220
LUGARNO NSW
AUSTRALIA 2210

viv@ishandchi.com


VIA EMAIL